Kansas Career Development Competencies
1. Listening Skills
A. Follows oral instructions:
- Listens for and identifies key words.
- Listen for words that identify a procedure.
- Listen for steps or actions to be performed.
- Listen for clues regarding the order or sequence in which a task is performed.
B. Draws conclusions or makes generalizations from another’s oral communication.
2. Oral Communication
A. Organize notes and ideas for formal, semi-formal, and informal communication.
B. Prepare and deliver a presentation appropriate to subject matter, purpose, and audience.
C. Incorporate visual media into a presentation.
A. Estimate, apply, and solve problems involving fractions, decimals, percentages, and real numbers.
B. Construct and interpret tables, charts, maps, and/or graphs.
A. Use language, organization, and format appropriate
to the subject matter, purpose, and audience.
B. Check, edit, and revise for correct information, spelling, and punctuation.
C. Create and present technical information in common
graphs and charts.
5. Computer Competency
A. Define, understand, and use common computer technology terminology.
B. Compose, organize, and edit information using a computer.
C. Use functions to store, query, retrieve, and sort data.
D. Use presentations and multimedia software to design/create a variety of presentations.
E. Select and use subject-specific and industry-specific software.
F. Access, navigate, and use online services.
G. Send and receive e-mail messages, voice messages, and faxes.
H. Apply ethical consideration to the operation and management of information systems common to organizations.
6. Human Relations
A. Demonstrate interpersonal skills:
- Tact and diplomacy
- Respect for others
- Respect for diversity
- Recognition of others’ strengths
- Positive assertiveness
- Positive attitude
7. Decision Making/Problem Solving
A. Describe the factors that impact decision making:
- Needs and wants
B. Utilize problem solving skills:
- Identify the problem for resolution
- Define critical issues
- Analyze causes of a problem
- Utilize research and assessment skills
- Examine results of a problem
- Offer solutions to a problem
- Select a solution to a problem
- Implement an action plan
A. Participate in team tasks:
- Establish team goals
- Establish team standards
- Receive and give information
- Process information
- Plan for action
- Complete team task on time
9. Resource Management
A. Locate information and select the materials, tools, equipment, and other resources to perform the activities needed to accomplish a specific task.
B. Determine cost, time, and resources needed to complete a task within an industry or occupation.
10. Time Management
A. Set priorities or the order in which several tasks will be accomplished.
B. Estimate the time required to perform activities needed to accomplish a specific task.
C. Create a time plan for solving a problem.
11. Work Ethic
A. Interpret standard workplace policies related to:
- Personal hygiene
- Personal discipline (personal absence)
- Substance abuse
- Employee theft
- Sexual harassment
- Causes for termination/legal action
B. Apply employee rules, regulations, and policies in a given occupational area including:
- Punctuality and dependability
- Responsibility for position
- Cost effectiveness
C. Understand and value effective work attitudes and behavior such as,
- Acceptance of the job requirements
- A willingness to take initiative on new challenges
- Take responsibility for decisions and actions
D. Create a portfolio or other means to display academic and technical skills.
12. Career Planning
A. Access and use information to develop educational and career options.
B. Participate in career exploration activities.